Composite dental fillings are a newer option for restoration and cosmetic dentistry. The goal of brushing and flossing daily is to slow or avoid the deterioration of your teeth. Wear and tear is a natural occurrence, but fortunately, dental experts like Dr. Dhaval are experienced in providing services like fillings to fill cavities and secure the tooth against worsening decay.
What are composite fillings?
Composite fillings are a tooth-colored alternative to conventional metal amalgam fillings. The filling mimics natural teeth in appearance and is made of composite plastic resin. This medical-grade resin is set and cured in place creating a strong bond that can withstand the tremendous force of your teeth and jaws.
Why Do People Need Dental Fillings?
A cavity is a weak spot in the tooth’s structure caused by decay. In order to safeguard and preserve the tooth’s structural integrity, a dentist removes the decay, then replaces the missing tooth material with a specific resin compound. Because the replacement material covers the gap left by the removal of the tooth’s decay, it is known as a filling.
Although it may be tempting to ignore a minor cavity in your mouth, cavities can seriously harm your dental health and have a number of adverse effects that can be fatal. Ignoring a cavity could lead to:
- Severe discomfort and pain from the decaying teeth
- Tooth infections
- Difficulty chewing
- Increased risk of gum disease and gingivitis
Cavities often have symptoms including sensitivity, discomfort, and trapping food particles. Treating cavities in the early stages makes the entire process faster and easier. When left untreated, cavities can lead to infection in the roots which can only be treated by major dental procedures such as root canals or dental implants.
What Are The Benefits Of A Cosmetic Dental Filling?
1. Cosmetic dental fillings feel natural. The composite material used for cosmetic fillings is composed of porcelain and acrylic resin particles that closely resemble the color of your teeth. Because your fillings will look exactly like your molars and bicuspids, no one will even know that you have them.
2. Superior durability. Cosmetic fillings are constructed from strong, long-lasting materials. Your tooth will remain intact and have a lower chance of breaking in the future thanks to the filling. Although all fillings may eventually need to be replaced, aesthetic fillings will last far longer. The back teeth, which are frequently the teeth with the most cavities, can benefit from the metal-free composite since the material can endure the pressure from biting.
3. Porcelain and acrylic dental fillings can improve your self-confidence. The metallic glitter of amalgam fillings is noticeable when speaking or laughing, which may make you feel self-conscious. By treating your tooth decay without causing any noticeable alterations to your natural teeth, this cosmetic dental procedure can preserve your dental well-being and increase your pride in your smile.
What Can I Expect From A Cosmetic Dental Filling Procedure?
Cosmetic fillings are an easy operation that can be finished in a single appointment. First, Dr. Dhaval will prepare the tooth and surrounding area with local anesthetics to make sure you are comfortable and pain-free. To get rid of any leftover bacteria, the decay and debris from the teeth are removed. The cavity will then be filled with a filling material that matches the shade of your teeth by your cosmetic dentist. Your cavity will be fixed and your teeth will seem brand-new and natural after a fast polish. The process will be quick and painless.
Empire Dental of Kamloops, BC is dedicated to providing quality dental care in a comfortable and safe environment. Dr. Dhaval holds 2 certificates of dental surgery and has provided dental care and surgery for over 7 years. For all of your family, restorative, and cosmetic dental needs, the Empire Dental team are your local experts.